Hard days are an inevitable part of life. No matter how hard we try, or how much we wish for it, there will always be times when things don’t go our way. On these days, motivation and inspiration can be difficult to conjure up and life can feel really hard and even hopeless.
If you are having a hard day and you are trying to feel better, then you are in the right place. The following affirmations can help you to feel a little more ready to take on your day, no matter what has happened and what will happen next.
10 Things To Say To Yourself When You Are Having A Hard Day
1. This Hard Day Doesn’t Define Me Or My Life
It’s easy to feel like a hard day means your life sucks and everything you do is wrong and nothing will ever be right again! *dramatic*
In other words, we can get too caught up in our hard day and let it define who we are and what kind of life we have – and definitely exaggerate things a bit.
The problem is that it’s not true! You are more than your ONE hard day and your hard day does not define you or your life.
Even two, three, or a hundred bad days don’t define you or your life.
Your choices and attitude towards life have more of a defining power over who you are and what will happen in your life. So make the best choices possible and maintain the best attitude possible to ensure that you and your life thrive no matter how many hard days you have.
2. I Can Handle This Hard Day
When we’re having a hard time, it can feel like we’re never going to make it through.
However, this is not the case! You are strong and you can handle whatever this hard day throws your way.
If you don’t believe it, look back on your life and remember all the other hard days you have handled, even when you thought you couldn’t. It might be helpful to journal these days and how they went to really reflect on your ability to make it through hard days.
3. I Can Pivot My Thoughts, Emotions, And Behaviors Any Time I Want
The great thing about you is that you can pivot anytime you want. If you are having a hard day, you can shift your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors to help you feel better.
Here are some tips for how to pivot your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors when you are having a hard day:
- Acknowledge that you’re having a hard day. Don’t try to pretend like everything is okay when it’s not. Recognizing that you’re struggling is the first step to making things better.
- Take a step back from the situation. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a few deep breaths and count to 10. This will help you clear your head and see the situation more clearly.
- Find something positive about the day. No matter how bad things seem, there is always something good that can be found. It might be something as simple as the sun shining or a friend calling to check in on you. Focusing on the positive will help you feel better about the situation overall.
- Adjust your expectations. If you’re setting yourself up for disappointment, then it’s no wonder you’re having a hard day. Let go of your expectations can help you avoid disappointment and frustration.
- Do something nice for yourself. When you’re having a hard day, treat yourself to something that makes you happy. This could be anything from taking a relaxing bath, a good lunch, or buying yourself a new book or pair of shoes. Just do something that makes YOU feel good.
- Take action. If you are having a hard day, taking action is one of the best things you can do. Sitting around sulking or feeling upset does nothing to help you shift your hard day, but taking action does! For example, if you are at work, and you want things to go differently, then take action to make that happen. You may need to adjust your daily duties, your goals, or something else, but taking some sort of action will help you feel much better about your hard day.
4. I Choose How I Respond To My Hard Day
It’s important to remember that you always have a choice in how you respond to your hard day. You can let it get the best of you or you can choose to rise above it.
The choice is always yours and only you can make it.
One piece of advice that can help is this: Look at your difficult day as something that could be beneficial. Maybe it will help you grow or find a better way of doing things.
You don’t know what could happen as a result of this hard day, but if you choose to respond to it as optimistically as possible, you will feel much better about it.
5. I Will Do My Best Today And That Is Enough
One of the hardest things about having a hard day is feeling like we’re not good enough and that we’re never going to be good enough.
This is simply not true! You are good enough and if you do your best today, that is all that matters.
6. I Will Not Let My Hard Day Define My Future
Just because you’re having a hard day today, doesn’t mean that your future is doomed. You have the power to create the future that you want, no matter how hard today may be.
This is where taking action comes in. What you do today will impact what you receive tomorrow. If things aren’t working out, make a plan to change them, and then take action!
7. I Can Reach Out For Help When I Need It
There is no shame in admitting that you’re struggling with your hard day and that you need help. In fact, reaching out for help is a sign of strength.
If you’re having a hard day, reach out to a friend, family member, therapist, or anyone else who can offer support. Or find someone else who can help you manage and get through your hard day.
8. I Will Allow Myself To Feel My Emotions
When we’re having a hard day, it’s easy to try to push our emotions down and pretend like everything is okay. However, this isn’t healthy or helpful.
It’s important to allow yourself to feel your emotions and process them in a healthy way. This might mean crying, journaling, or talking to a friend.
Whatever you need to do, make sure you give yourself the time and space to feel your emotions.
9. I Will Be Kind To Myself Today
When you’re having a hard day, it’s easy to be hard on yourself. You might beat yourself up for not being good enough or for getting yourself into this situation or for not being able to handle the situation.
However, this is not helpful and will only make things worse. Instead, be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with compassion and understanding. This will help you get through the day with much more grace and optimism.
10. I Trust That Things Will Work Out For My Best Interest
Finally, it’s important to trust that things will work out for your best interest, even if you can’t see it right now.
You may not be able to see how things will get better, but that doesn’t mean they won’t. Trust that the universe has a plan for you and that everything will eventually work out the way it’s supposed to, no matter how bad things seem right now.